This is the latest V3 version. 1A charge current. Note the different decals if you are shopping around!
For BMW bikes with accessory charging socket. OptiMate communicates with the ecu to keep the socket open allowing charging and long term maintenance charge.
Also any bike with powerlet/euro style power socket.
OptiMate 4 Dual Program 12 Volt battery charger. Multi Stage desuphating 12 Volt 800mA Automatic battery Charger/Maintainer for motorcycles,Jet Skis, ATV's etc. Supplied with battery clips & weatherproof permanent connector.
OptiMate is a charger/maintainer that you can leave connected to any battery while a vehicle is not being used. Simply attach the pigtail lead to your battery and leave the connector some where for easy connection, on a bike for example, under your pillion seat, behind a panel, a rear foot rest. The lead has a weather proof cover to protect it from corrosion.
This item includes an adapter to plug in to a power socket as found on many touring bikes such as BMW,Honda,Triumph etc. Can bus mode allows the charger to maintain BMW batteries via the accessory socket.
Simply connect OptiMate after every ride and your battery will ALWAYS be fully charged.
Choose from the selections at the top of the page for the adapter best suited to your needs.
Standard battery lead and alligator clips are included.
This version comes with 1 x powerlet socket adapter (BMW/Honda/Triumph etc) 1 x weather proof lead (attach permanently to your battery),1 x set of crocodile clips.
For more accessories please see OptiMate Leads SAE connector accessories page - usb chargers, torches, charge indicators, exptension leads, splitters, sockets and plugs etc
- Connect to your battery 24/7 to ensure it remains fully charged
- Safe low voltage pulse desulphation
- Weatherproof enclosure (IP54) with integrated wall-mounts, cables rated down to -40 degrees C / F.
- Unique OptiMate desulphation: Saves low voltage batteries irrecoverable by standard chargers / charging systems.
- Battery TEST at connection AND after charging. 5 possible test results. Informs you if your battery is unable to remain above 12.7V
- Multi-stage charge cycle for fastest and most complete charge.
- Charge current: 800mA constant.
- Unique inter-active maintenance charge with desulphation pulse for more battery power and longer battery life.
- 100% automatic, 100% safe for vehicle electronics and includes 'no spark' operation, short cirucit and reverse polarity protection.
- Safe on/off maintenence mode will NOT boil your battery.
- Will charge batteries from as low as 0.5V!
- Charge the battery directly with all desulphation SAVE mode features activated OR select the CAN-bus program to charge via CAN-bus controlled 12V port (BMW, Ducati).
- Automatic KEY-LESS activation until charger is disconnected, for continuous unsupervised battery maintenance of the motorcycle battery.
Instructions for Dual Program switching (BMW ONLY)
Battery performance guaranteed!
(OptiMate is an intelligent automatic charger maintainer, we don't like the term trickle charger! ;-) "trickle" chargers will maintain the battery at a fixed voltage. If too high this will boil the battery, if too low sulphation is still able to form reducing your battery's ability to perform.)
If your batteries do not last much past their warranty, you should try OptiMate!
The automatic multi stage program engages as soon as the OptiMate 4 is connected to a 12V battery that has at least 0.5V :-
- OptiMate 4 immediately checks if the battery has enough voltage to start the program, and whether the battery is deep-discharged ("sulfated") or not.
- For neglected batteries, the OptiMate 4 starts the recovery mode, initially limiting the applied voltage at 16V, and if necessary for sulfated batteries, engaging TURBO recovery at a voltage of up to 22V** at low current for up to 2 hours, to recover the battery to a condition in which it can accept a normal charge.
- As soon as the circuit detects that this point has been reached (immediately for most batteries), the “bulk charge” mode engages and delivers current at a constant rate of 0,8A to charge the battery.
- When the battery-sensing circuit observes that charge progress is sufficient, the unique ‘verification’ stage engages. The voltage is limited at a lower level, & if sensed necessary, a voltage pulsing action provides further desulfating & tops off the charge. When this has been verified, or if after 48 hours from connection the battery has been unable to accept & retain adequate charge, the next stage engages.
- The OptiMate then stops current to the battery for 30 minutes while it monitors the unsupported battery voltage to check whether the battery can retain sufficient charge to crank an engine, before the long term maintenance and test cycle begins.
- During the next 30 minutes the OptiMate offers the battery a supporting & maintaining charge, but only to the extent necessary to counter any losses or connected loads such as an electronic alarm or immobilizer. Overcharging and/or overheating of the battery is ruled out by this 50% duty cycle as the battery is interactively maintained for 30 minutes and then rests during the power drain tests of each alternative 30 minutes. So the battery is always 100% good to go, but never overcharged.
**The OptiMate’s high voltage desulfation mode will not engage unless the battery is first disconnected from the vehicle’s electrical system, therefore OptiMate cannot damage sensitive vehicle electronics as the higher voltage mode can only engage if minimal or zero current is flowing into the battery.
Meets all Australian standards -Ctick approved
Comprehensive selection of TM connection accessories including an output extension set.
3 year limited warranty.
Wall mounts are moulded into the case for easy & convenient wall placement and the unit comes with battery clips that have a cable reach of over 8ft.
Suitable for Motorcycle Batteries, Jet Ski Batteries, Lawn Tractor batteries, Small boat batteries, Ski Doo batteries, ATV batteries, etc..up to 75 Ah
Other Details3 Years against manufacturer defects
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
9 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Works like a charm
Easy Australian instructions to set up for direct charging to a BMW euro socket and charging away! Much needed addition to the shed!
Works great, quick delivery, very happy.
I bought this charger for the inbuilt Can-Bus option that is needed for BMWs. Works like a treat and easy to use.
I did a bit of research before selecting the Optimate 4. I wanted a charger to use on a CAN bus for my K1300.
The product feels nice and solid and is well constructed. Other similar products can feel cheap and flimsy. This one doesn't. It's very easy to use - pretty much plug and go.
However, in the interests of making the unit free of buttons, the switchover function between CAN bus and standard mode requires using the clips. Although it only takes a minute, it could have been easier to have a slide switch on the unit to select either function. This would also make it easy to see what mode it was in before plugging it in. But this is a very minor issue.
A great product!
Thanks for the review Andrew :-)
A switch may be a more obvious idea, however switches can fail so In the interests of cost and reliability they do not have a switch to swap modes.
When OptiMate 4 is turned on, the bottom 2 leds flash if the unit is in CAN mode. It will stay in the last used mode until it is changed by the user. Thanks again, Steve
Instructions could be better
Saw it initially on Nippy Normans - recommended for BMWs
Fantastic turn around time for delivery by Moto-Tech. Wish all internet purchases arrived so quickly
Would definitely recommend the charger and Moto-Tech to my mates
I use this battery conditioner on both a CAn Bus motorcycle and a normal one - works simply, and works very well to keep the charge topped up.
Sales and service - perfect.
The unit is good but the instructions are unclear.
Firstly, the item was delivered really quickly.
Read instructions and found it was already in CAN-BUS mode. Left it at that and plugged into non-Can-BUS bike(old r1100) Rest of instructions described what to expect.
After that it was plug and play.
Stops when charged and then polls battery periodically - very important for weekend rider!